Interac Online is a payment method that has been rapidly growing in popularity in the iGaming industry. This is especially true amongst Canadian players.
While not limited to the world on online casinos (Interac is offered by hundreds of merchants across multiple industries) the method has benefits that appeal specifically to iGaming players.
Working alongside your usual online banking, Interac Online negates the need for creating a username or password, and does not require personal details.
The security, and more importantly to some, privacy provided by Interac, has seen it swiftly become one of the most popular payment methods for Canadian players.
What is Interac Online?
Interac Online is an online payment method that shares none of your personal or banking details with either the merchant you are purchasing from, or any other third party.
Funds are taken immediately from the payee’s bank account, as opposed to at a later date, as with certain credit cards.
How Does Interac Online Work?
Payment with Interac happens through a short series of simple steps.
- Firstly, you will be redirected to the Interac Online payment gateway from an online casino’s checkout page.
- Next, you will login to your online banking (all major banks supported) and select the account you wish to pay from.
- Once the payment is confirmed with your bank, you will be redirected to the checkout page, where you can confirm your order, and it will be processed immediately.
How Secure is Interac Online?
Security is vital when using online payment methods. Interac Online ensures your online safety through various measures.
- No personal details are taken. You pay directly through your online banking, so there are no passwords or usernames, and no need to give any additional personal information.
- Your bank details are not shared with Interac Online or any third parties.
- You are protected against any loss of money that is beyond your control
- Interac Online works in full compliance with the Canadian Code of Practice for Consumer Protection in Electronic Commerce (see below)
Can I Get My Money Back From The Casino When Depositing Via Interac?
The Canadian Code of Practice for Consumer Protection in Electronic Commerce (hereby referred to simply as the CoP) is a voluntary code designed to protect consumers during electronic transactions.
Provisions are in place through the CoP to offer a range of protections for consumers, including:
- Limited liability for the consumer
- Arranging refunds where appropriate
- Preventing the collection of data and personal information as a precondition of sales, and wherever it is not appropriate or necessary
- Requirement for merchants to provide a complaint system
- Ensuring liability to the merchant for any personal information taken from consumers
The CoP is in place to ensure the safety and security of consumers at all times, and Interac Online is fully compliant with the CoP.
This means that casino players in Canada can be assured of the safety and security of them and their money. Consumers will also be covered in the event of any losses or unethical practices being carried out by any casino offering Interac Online as a payment method.
What are the Gambling Laws in Canada?
Gambling and online gambling is legal in Canada, but as in most jurisdictions, the details are fairly confusing.
Land based gambling is fully legal in Canada since significant changes were made to the law back in the 1970s.
There are numerous brick and mortar casinos in the country, sports betting outlets are growing in number, and lotteries are operated by a multitude of provincial governments.
Online gambling, however, is a little more of a grey area for players in Canada.
Essentially, any online casino providing real money games to Canadian players must be approved and licensed by the Canadian government, which does not tend to happen often. Instead, the majority of online casinos operating from Canada and offering their services to players in the country are operated by the provinces themselves.
These sites are 100% legal to use. Lottery tickets can also be purchased legally from these sites also.
The point where things get complicated, is with online casinos that offer real money games to Canadian players, but are not based in Canada.
While this should, on paper, be illegal, there is little regulation in the country when it comes to overseas operators. As a result, many consider that a company based in a jurisdiction that has legal online gambling is exempt from Canadian law, and instead is governed by the laws of the country in which it is based.
From the perspective of players, there is no law to be found that states officially whether gambling online is legal or illegal, and no Canadian citizen has every been charged (at the time of writing) for playing at any online casino.
As a result, numerous online casinos based overseas offer their games to Canadian players. This lack of regulation causes concern for some, and as a result, having a safe and secure payment method is of the utmost importance.
A service like Interac Online can protect players who may otherwise be at risk when playing at an online casino which is not regulated in Canada itself.
Are Interac Online Casinos Safe?
To bring this information to a smooth conclusion, using Interac Online at an online casino comes as close as possible to ensuring your safety, no matter where the casino itself is based.
Compliance with the CoP is a necessity for any merchants offering Interac Online as a payment method.
This means that any merchant, online casino or otherwise, can be trusted to be compliant with the CoP, and therefore keep you and your money safe at all times.